Tembleque - Puerto Rican Coconut Flan Recipe
Time: 3-5 Hours
Servings: 6-8 Servings
By Chef Jesse Muñoz
Indulge in the rich flavors of Puerto Rico with the luscious and creamy delight known as Tembleque. This traditional coconut pudding is a staple of Puerto Rican cuisine, capturing the essence of the island’s tropical charm. With its velvety texture and delicate coconut undertones, Tembleque is a dessert that will transport your taste buds to the shores of Puerto Rico with every spoonful.
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Cinnamon, Ground
- 1 tablespoon Shredded Coconut (for garnish)
- 1 pinch Cinnamon, Ground (for garnish)
Method of Preparation:
- In a saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, and salt until well combined. This will ensure a smooth and even texture for your Tembleque.
- In a saucepan, pour in the coconut milk and heat it over medium-low heat until it’s warm, but not boiling. Stir occasionally to prevent scalding.
- Turn the burner to medium heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of cinnamon to infuse the pudding with its delightful aroma.
- Gradually whisk, ensuring there are no lumps. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Carefully pour the coconut pudding mixture into individual serving dishes or a larger serving dish.
- Shake the mold(s) and lightly drop them on the counter to release any air bubbles and allow the mixture to set evenly.
- Allow the Tembleque to cool down to room temperature for 2 hours. Then, cover it with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours, or until the pudding sets and becomes firm.
- Just before serving, sprinkle a generous amount of ground cinnamon on top of the Tembleque. The cinnamon not only adds a burst of flavor but also enhances the visual appeal of the dessert.
- Serve your Tembleque chilled and enjoy the velvety goodness that’s the hallmark of this traditional Puerto Rican delicacy.
With its silky texture, tropical coconut flavor, and a touch of warm cinnamon, Tembleque is more than just a dessert—it’s a journey to the heart of Puerto Rican culture. Whether enjoyed alone or shared with loved ones, this coconut pudding is a sweet reminder of the island’s culinary heritage and the joy of savoring life’s simple pleasures.