Director of Bakery and Tortilleria
Title: Director of Bakery and Tortilleria
Reports To: SVP, Marketing & Merchandising
The Bakery and Tortilleria Director is responsible for all Bakery & Tortilleria procurement and vendor management. Responsible for the financial success of the Bakery and Tortilleria departments. Oversee Full P&L responsibility; ensures the department’s merchandising plans, programs, strategic initiatives, and campaigns achieve budgeted sales and gross profit objectives and ensure the category management, across Bakery and Tortilleria departments, meet Company objectives. The ideal candidate will be a passionate, positive, and humble leader with a consistent track record of achieving results individually and through others.
Develop strong, collaborative working relationship with lead department supervisors of Bakery and Tortilleria. A relationship built on trust, open communication, complete involvement, and commitment to them and supportive of their input and roles in their respective departments. This relationship is paramount to be to successful. Create a work environment that promotes teamwork, performance feedback, recognition, mutual respect, and team member satisfaction.
Creativity & Innovation:
• Support: Obtain necessary support from all vendors on securing appropriate vendor assistance at store level for the complete and thorough implementation of all new programs, including training and development
• Innovation: The job requires both creativity and alternative (out-of-the-box) thinking to develop new ideas, products and programs, with well thought out SOP’s to ensure success at store level, in both sales and well as margin and minimizing shrink, as well as factoring in continuous improvement.
• Creativity: Must develop company programs for every major holiday, event, as well as all seasons for Vallarta to be on leading edge with quality product lines & offerings and be first to market with these, with well thought through programs
• Communication: 100% responsible for ensuring that all aspects pf communication, to appropriate supervisors and operational team members is thorough and complete and obtaining their input for the analysis and evaluation of new programs for determining the results
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure Bakery and Tortilleria Procurement and vendor management teams are communicated with daily
• Conduct weekly regular analysis of Bakery and Tortilleria department sales and margins; manage, analyze, sales and volume for all items in the Bakery and Tortilleria departments to determine the correct product assortment
• Prepare merchandising plans, execute, and ensure placement through communications within all stores
• Good understanding of all equipment, tools and packaging used for both departments, as well as how the equipment is used, and being able to negotiate favorable acquisition costs.
• Must understand all aspects of competitors in our market area, as it relates to these departments: selection, quality, margins, equipment, and direction
• Partner department supervisors and operations to gain their “buy in” and support for programs, so they are embraced and executed effectively at the store level. This includes personal development as well as continuous improvement
• Assess current inventory, market conditions, availability, and promotional impact to forecast order quantities and make recommendations
• Expect unfavorable events through analysis of data and prepare control strategies
• Understand operational metrics and reports on shrink and work to minimize any losses by implementing best practice programs and systems
• Discover profitable suppliers and initiate business and organization partnerships
• Negotiate with external vendors to secure advantageous terms
• Visit stores regularly to monitor programs, obtain store feedback and to assess overall implementation effectiveness
Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong understanding of the Bakery and Tortilleria marketplace where Vallarta does business, as well as understanding their programs, leveraging what they learn and adjust to fit Vallarta’s culture
• Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels of the organization with a very positive approach always
• Ability to approach strategic projects with confidence; applying creativity and project management skills through the concept ideation, development, piloting, test & learn and scaling process
• Results driven with a desire to work in a fast-paced environment; equally adept at providing leadership as well as working side by side with the team
• Strong ability to establish credibility and positive relationships with individuals at all levels inside and outside the organization
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
• Outstanding negotiation skills
• Excellent analytical skills and the ability to synthesize the analysis into action.
• Proven problem-solving skills
• Strong computer aptitude in MS-Office
• Bilingual Spanish a plus, but not required
• Follows all sanitation guidelines as prescribed by the health department
• Comply with USDA, FDA, OSHA, and all other regulatory agencies
Required Education and Experience:
• Experienced in every aspect of the bakery and Tortilleria departments; familiar with both Hispanic and U.S. baked good products (scratch and proof and bake) and customer trends
• Extensive Procurement experience
Will be required to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. Some travel and overnight stays from time to time. May also have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is an exempt level position; schedule would be based on business necessity. Must be willing to work; Morning, nights, weekends, and holidays that are required.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and employees may perform other duties as directed. All employees are expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company goals and objectives.
- Required Education and Experience:
- Experienced in every aspect of the bakery and Tortilleria departments; familiar with both Hispanic and U.S. baked good products (scratch and proof and bake) and customer trends
- Extensive Procurement experience
- Physical Demands
- Will be required to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. Some travel and overnight stays from time to time. May also have to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time.
- Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is an exempt level position; schedule would be based on business necessity. Must be willing to work; Morning, nights, weekends, and holidays that are required.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and employees may perform other duties as directed. All employees are expected to perform any reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling company goals and objectives.